HUD has been quite active this month publishing a variety of new rules and housing notices. The following is a list of some of HUD’s most recent guidance.
For certain public housing authorities (PHAs) with less than 250 public housing dwelling units, this notice offers guidance on the flexible uses of capital and operating funds for large improvements and other eligible expenditures.
- Final Rule: Establishing a More Effective Fair Market Rent System; Using Small Area Fair Market Rents in the Housing Choice Voucher Program Instead of the Current 50th Percentile FMRs
For certain metropolitan areas experiencing high housing choice voucher (HCV) concentrations, this final rule allows rents to be determined by zip codes instead of the 50th percentile formula for the entire metropolitan area. According to HUD, using zip codes to define the Small Area Fair Market Rent (FMR) will allow the agency to provide a more accurate subsidy to reduce the number of voucher families residing in areas of high poverty concentration. The rule also implements the Housing Opportunity through Modernization Act of 2016 (HOTMA) provisions related to FMRs and regulatory changes to the HCV program payment standard adjustments.
- Final Rule: Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act of 2013: Implementation in HUD Housing Programs
This rule amends HUD regulations to include the requirements of the 2013 reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), which extended VAWA protectections beyond public housing to tenant-based and project-based Section 8 programs as well.
- PIH Notice 2016-17(HA) : Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD) Notice Regarding Fair Housing and Civil Rights Requirements and Relocation Requirements Applicable to RAD First Component –Public Housing Conversions
See our recent blog post for more detailed information on these updated RAD civil rights and reolocation requirements.
- PIH Notice 2016-16 (HA): Guidance on Reporting Public Housing Agency Executive Compensation Information for Calendar Year 2015
This PIH notice discusses revisions to form HUD-52725 used to report executive compensation. For calendar year 2015 compensation data collection, PHAs must complete the HUD-52725 form online and submit it electronically by December 9, 2016.
- Notice H 2016-16: Policy for Amended and Restated Use Agreement for Multifamily Projects Subject to the Low-Income Housing Preservation and Resident Homeownership Act of 1990 (LIHPRHA)
On a case by case basis, HUD will allow for the amendment and restatement of a property’s LIHPRHA Use Agreement to allow the project owner to receive proceeds from the refinance of the property, unlimited annual distributions from surplus cash, and funds accumulated in a residual receipts account. This notice outlines the circumstances under which HUD will allow such amendment and restatement, and approve LIHPRHA preservation transactions.
- Notice: Allocations, Common Application, Waivers, and Alternative Requirements for Community Development Block Grant Disaster Recovery (CDBG-DR) Grantees
Pursuant to this notice, HUD allocated $500 million in CDBG-DR funds to assist long-term recovery efforts in Louisiana, Texas, and West Virginia. The notice also outlines the grant award process, and describes eligible disaster recovery activities, alternative requirements, and applicable waivers available to potential grantees.
- Final Rule: Equal Access to Housing in HUD’s Native American and Native Hawaiian Programs-Regardless of Sexual Orientation or Gender Identity
This rule extends HUD’s equal access protections to HUD’s Native American and Native Hawaiian program regulations to ensure that eligible persons and families have access to housing programs regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status.